Job Posting: Assistant Director of Markets
EIP is a national leader in developing and selling land-based environmental offsets, delivering large-scale Pay for Performance restoration solutions, and owning / operating mitigation banks. EIP is a dynamic, entrepreneurial private firm that pioneered private equity as a capital source for large-scale, third-party restoration solutions for permittees. EIP’s current portfolio of 48 mitigation banks includes over 200 miles of stream restoration and over 44,000 acres of wetland restoration. EIP’s projects range from bog restoration in Minnesota to nutrient reduction in Maryland to endangered fish habitat restoration in California’s Sacramento Bay Delta. EIP is in a growth phase (having recently raised our third institutional investment fund) and will be substantially increasing the number of projects owned and managed by the firm over the next 4 years. As such, we seek a dynamic professional to join our sales and marketing team.
LOCATION Baltimore preferred. Appalachia region (WV, OH, KY, PA, VA) considered on a case-by-case basis.
KEY ROLES This position affords the right candidate an unmatched opportunity to develop new business opportunities in the mitigation, restoration, and environmental offset arena. The ADM will support and advance EIP’s mitigation credit sales and marketing functions nationwide, with a particular focus on the Appalachia region. The ADM will have responsibility for sourcing, negotiating and closing new business and maintaining strong working relationships with numerous existing and repeat customers. The ADM is the lead for all mitigation credit sales out of EIP’s 15 mitigation banks in Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio. The ADM has the opportunity to help guide EIP’s expansions in this region, as well as to develop new business nationally. The ideal candidate should have business development and sales experience, direct experience and expertise in environmental (Clean Water Act) permitting, and must be committed to providing outstanding customer service solutions to EIP’s customers. The ADM position offers an outstanding opportunity to join an expert team pioneering private market solutions to large-scale restoration.
RESPONSIBILITIES Specific responsibilities will include the following:
Prospect for, negotiate, and close new credits sales opportunities at EIP’s Appalachia region mitigation banks:
- Effectively market EIP’s credits: provide value-added support to credit buyers (and their consultants) by assisting them through the permitting process and educating them on how the purchase of credits will advance their permit application. Be the first point of contact for all incoming credit sales inquiries, and guide permittees through the credit sales process to successful credit sale close. Work with credits buyers (or their consultants) to understand their mitigation needs; capture and fully document all information in SalesForce; and bring the sale to a close. Develop business relationships with key constituencies (consultants, credit buyers, regulators) through these communications and through other business development means.
- Prospect for credit sales leads, and follow those leads.
Maintain a system of leads research, and regularly report to EIP’s Managing Director for Markets (MDM)on these findings.
- Travel frequently to the Appalachia region, and nationally, to pursue leads.
Close all credit sales transactions:
- Collaborate with the EIP team to provide customers credit sales contracts on same-day turnaround, and maintain contractual and credit closing template documents.
- Collaborate with the EIP team to administratively close all credit sales through communication and paperwork with the relevant agencies. Administer all external paperwork including creating, updating, and managing credit sales ledgers.
- Track and follow up on all credit sale contractual dates and revenue (deposits, payment, etc.) and collaborate with EIP’s finance team to issue invoices and notices, and maintain
internal reports, as required.
Market EIP’s banks through credit sales collateral materials:
- Collaborate with the EIP team and consultants on content updates, website updates, EIP’s photo library, and other marketing material (marketing emails, trade show booths, etc.).
Prospect for new business opportunities and analyze the market potential of those opportunities:
- Perform research analysis creatively and diligently to determine future demand prospects for new business opportunities. Work with MDM and EIP’s Underwriting department to prepare market analyses to inform investment decisions.
Collaborate with all members of the EIP team on research, analysis, and other items as applicable.
EXPERIENCE The ideal candidate will be driven to translate their marketing, sales, and business development experience into closing sales for a leading restoration firm. They will be strongly customer service focused and dynamic in a sales context – allowing them to effectively articulate the value of third-party solutions to customers and other outside constituencies. Specifically:
- Minimum 5 years sales, marketing or business development experience. Highly personable, responsive, solutions-oriented nature. Proven track record in establishing rapport and maintaining constructive business relationships with outside constituencies.
- Demonstrated fluency and experience in Section 404 Clean Water Act permitting, or other environmental permitting experience.
- Uncompromising attention to detail. Ability to flawlessly track, and follow up on hundreds of credits sales and sales prospects.
- Ability to creatively generate research and sales/marketing insights where a clear path and process do not exist.
- Proven ability to be a strong team player at a small, fast-paced firm.
- Curiosity and drive to explore the expanding business opportunities of the environmental markets sector.
- Preferred experience in SalesForce and Microsoft Excel.
- Undergraduate degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
REPORTING The ADM will report to EIP’s Managing Director of Markets.
COMPENSATION EIP will offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to attract the most qualified candidates.
CONTACT Please send cover letter articulating your interest and relevant experience – together with a one-page resume – to Katherine Birnie (email@example.com). Consideration of candidates will commence immediately, and the intended start date for this position is as early as possible.